Thursday, October 2, 2008

Contact your Congressional "Leaders" (BoKnowsPolitics?)

I included the quotes around "leaders" as I have little respect for many of our elected officials. You've seen previous rants here or on my BoKnowsEconomics Blog but I'm fed up enough (and have had enough coffee) that I've emailed and want to further rant about it this morning.

SOAPBOX ALERT!
Do you feel powerless? I do! We've put people in power that may or may not care about the true needs of "the people". It's rough to complain, however, because everyone feels that their elected officials are fine. For example, I can't see how people continue to vote for Ted Kennedy! He seems like such an anachronism and so liberal. However, he brings the pork home to his district! If Congress is able to buy votes at home (normally at the expense of the entire US Taxpayer base) then they get to return to DC to wreak havoc again! Do I like my local guy (Tom Price)? Yes I do. I think he's pretty down-to-earth and uses common sense. I have not reviewed his entire voting record, but my gut feel is that he is trying to serve our District. Contrast that with Saxby in the Senate--I feel that the recent Agricultural Bill that passed was a bloated mess and I can't forgive him for that. What to do though? I think Mr. Martin is a nice guy, but I don't feel he's "my" guy (i.e. I think he's too liberal/big government--not that the Republicans haven't screwed up with their largess as well). It's been the same on Presidential elections of late. I still think Kerry and Gore are whack jobs. However, my disappointment in "W" is very deep, but again, what choice did I have? This year? Sheesh... We'll see! Anyway, RANT OVER....

Click on this link to sort out how to email your elected officials!

As noted, I emailed my Congressman, Rep. Tom Price after reading a press release that noted why he did NOT vote for the Bailout Plan. I actually agree with his reasoning! Here is my emailed comment:

"I was pleased to read your Press Release following your NO vote for the misguided Bailout Plan. Please vote NO again on the Senate version as I feel that a) the Plan has not been tweaked enough to be acceptable (e.g. your Press Release points were not addressed) and b) I understand that several 'pet provisions' have been added by the Senate. "We the people" are disgusted by Congress and our government and we have tired of the Partisan bickering. I do feel your comments are spot-on and I hope that some common sense will occur today as it relates to the Senate Bill. Dr. Price, I honestly feel that we are at a crossroads in our country. I can only hope that our government can rediscover what it means to truly serve "in the common good". I wonder how term limits would serve our Country? If Congressional "lifers" were limited to a shorter term/time, perhaps the focus would actually be on our Country versus self-serving actions to secure re-election. I apologize for the rant, but there are many members of Congress that have obviously placed "Self" above Country and it makes me sad. Good luck today and I hope that we can survive this (and other) issue(s) facing America. Thanks, Bo Wagner."

Final shot? Read this quote from Benjamin Franklin: “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security.”

No comments: