Wednesday, June 30, 2010

"Reality" TV

Like many people, we have a DVR for recording our favorite television shows. And from time to time, we get 'behind' and have to catch up. Two of our favorite shows hit pretty close to home for me in the last week or two. Modern Family recently wrapped up its first season by taking the family to Hawaii. As we started watching, several things looked familiar and I started to say 'that looks like..." as the guy on TV said "Welcome to the Four Seasons, Maui". The episode was touching and funny (as always) and it really 'hit home' for me and Susie as MY Dad & Mom took our family to Hawaii (including the Four Seasons Maui) in July 2009 to celebrate their 51st wedding anniversary (if you're curious, you can check out photos on our photo site). That was our last family trip together before his passing in September and was an amazing memory that we won't forget! I hope to someday take our family to the Four Seasons; hopefully with less 'madcap adventures' as shown on that TV program :)

Another show that we watch regularly is Deadliest Catch. If you follow the series, one of the captains recently had a stroke. Not to be a 'spoiler' but sadly Captain Phil Harris of the Cornelia Marie passed away. The episode we watched last night ended with Captain Phil being taken away in an ambulance. I was blessed to have made it to Kentucky prior to my Dad passing away, and seeing Phil in a gurney reminded me of my Father in the ICU. I feel for anyone else who has lost a family member and I try to focus on the good (Hawaii, childhood, our relationship) with the bad (his passing). God bless you all and take a moment to call your loved ones and hug your family.

With all the silly trash that can be found on the TV, I am surprised when something touches me as much as those 2 programs recently have... Take care, Bo

No comments: