Friday, May 14, 2010

An obituary for an old black dog

It's funny, I am still a bit teary over an old black dog that wasn't even mine. In fact, she belonged to Susie's ex-husband! I guess I'm a bit surprised that I get so emotional over things like this, but at the same time I am very sentimental and 'events' like this do touch me.

Nora was a stray picked up by Susie over 10 years ago--the Vet guessed she was already 5 or 6 at that time. After several hundred dollars to cure her of heart worms (I think Jeff called Nora the world's most expensive stray) she lived a happy life with their family, the evil border collie Lillie (evil in her puppy days that is) and (after Susie and I were married), 'solo' at home with Jeff, until he adopted Gibson the three-legged wonderdog (a story for another day). Nora was a lab mix and was a bit overweight, as many old dogs can be, but she always had a smile for you behind her graying muzzle. Old age caught up with her and after a rough night, an early morning trip to the Vet established that it was her time. So tonight, I'll go home and hug Spike and Lillie and perhaps raise a toast to old "Nora-belle". May she rest in peace...

No comments: