Thursday, February 18, 2010

The end of "Left Lane Bandits"?

I like the fact that the Georgia Legislature is considering a fine on left-lane bandits. No, that's not what the legislators called it, it's my term (actually, a term stolen from Car & Driver). If you are driving under the speed limit in the left lane (a/k/a passing lane) you will be fined $75. I love it! As we all know, Atlantans are apt to speed; there are those who like to park in the left lane because it's their right, dammit, to impede traffic (usually in the name of 'safety'). Their logic is flawed, however, as people will STILL speed past and since the LLB is blocking the correct passing lane, the speeder will have to illegally pass on the right (and as they are already speeding, they may make this move dangerously). So spare me your righteous bleating that the speeder is breaking the law; the LLB is the one who is MORE dangerous! If you want to drive slowly, go for it--there are lanes on the right for your meandering pleasure. As for me, I like the European model where the left lane is empty unless/until you pass. You get in, you get out. That's my 2 cents anyway... Happy Thursday :)

No comments: